Introduction to the Pool Sand Filter
Swimming should be an enjoyable experience. Every time you look at your swimming pool or go inside it, you need to be happy and feel motivated to stay in the water, but this is not as easy as it sounds. Maintaining a swimming pool is a quite a hard task but you have to do it otherwise your swimming pool will become too gross to look at leaving alone swimming in. At the core of keeping your swimming pool clean are pool filters. These instruments are essential as they help in getting rid of all the contamination be it from the wind, the materials around/on the pool or even the individuals swimming in it.
There are dozens of pool filters in the market which is a great thing as they come in all shapes, sizes and price tags meaning everyone can afford them. It is also important to note that there are different types of pool filters including sand, cartridge, and D.E filters. In this particular review, we will be looking at sand filters, and we will also go as far as telling you the best pool sand filters in the market at the moment. Before all that, let’s first have a look at how sand filters work and how/whether they are better than the other two.
For everyone who doesn’t have a lot of time or money to spend on maintaining their swimming pools, sand filters are usually the most recommended. These filters are highly effective and quite affordable compared to the other two types of filters, and that is why they are the most commonly used. Sand filters are also ideal for individuals with in-ground pools.
As the name suggests, pool sand filters usually contain a large bed of sand through which the particles coming from the pump are trapped and filtered out. These filters look like a big ball that measures 2 to four feet in diameter. This system can filter up to 20 microns particles meaning that it won’t let any large particles go through. Unfortunately, this pool sand filter won’t be able to prevent the small fine particles from passing through. Once the water has passed through the sand bed and left the impurities behind, it will go out using the drain pipe found at the bottom of the filter.
Sand filters are also quite popular because they are easy to maintain. Cleaning these filters involves backwashing the sand bed to remove all the trapped dirt and debris. Additionally, the sand used in these filters is usually sufficient and will remain useful for up to 7 years before you are forced to replace it. As you can see, therefore, acquiring these filters is not very costly and maintaining them is even more affordable.
Pros of Sand Filters
- At an average price of $250 for above-ground filters and $750 for in-ground filters, sand filters are, perhaps, the most affordable pool filters in the market
- Maintaining the filters is a simple matter of backwashing and rinsing
- The sand used in filtering dirt and debris is easy to acquire, and it also lasts for many years (up to 7 years)
- They only trap up to 20 microns, and hence these filters will still allow some impurities to get through
- The more you use the filter or, the dirtier the pool, the more the pressure is required for filtering. This is because the sand bed gets filled with debris thus making it even harder to filter incoming water
- A lot of water will be wasted when backwashing and rinsing it
With that in mind, here are the top 3 pool sand filters:
- Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter with GFCI
The Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter is the best choice for everyone looking for an easy to use a filter that requires minimal maintenance but delivers impressive results. This swimming pool sand filter hasn’t just been designed to make filtering easy but also to ensure that you do not waste a lot of time cleaning and maintaining it. That is why it comes with a valve through which backwashing, recirculating and draining the system is easy. You can even decide to close the entire system using the valve which makes using it even more convenient.
The Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter features an automatic 24-hour smart timer that makes sure your swimming pool remains clean and attractive effortlessly.
This pool sand filter also comes in four different models that differ concerning power. You can choose from 1050 GPH, 1600 GPH, 2150GPh and 3000 GPH. The 3000 GPH is the most potent and also costly, but with it, you can clean above ground pools that measure 16” and above!
Finally, we have to mention that with this unit, you’ll only need to replace the sand once in five years! This is very cost effective and other than cleaning the system there really no any other maintenances required.
- Dimensions: 27.1 by 25.5 by 17.6 inches
- Unit weight: 40.9 pounds
- Shipping weight: 54.3 pounds
- Pump flow rate of 3000 gph at 11.3 m3 per hour
- System flow rate of 2450 gph at 9.2 m3 per hour
- Comes with a pressure gauge, 6-way valve, and strainer basket
- Heavy duty tank construction for durability
- Very affordable with no maintenance costs
- It’s an easy to use machine, and with the 24-hour automatic timer the system will start cleaning your pool and turn itself off with ease
- With a 3000 gph pump flow rate, the filter works very fast ensuring that your pool is clean and ready for use in no time
- The filter is available in four sizes which makes it easy for you to get one that perfectly suits your bill and needs
- With a single valve, you can backwash, recirculate, drain and close the system
- In a few cases, users complained about loud sounds coming from the filter
- The filter is compatible with custom adapters, yet there aren’t any included when making buying the system. This means that you’ll have to incur an extra cost in purchasing the adapters
- Hayward S270T Pro Series Sand Filter
The Hayward S270T Pro Series is the most popular in-ground pool filter system. This filter is also one of the most powerful in the market helping you to get even the biggest of swimming pools clean and ready for use within a short time.
The S270T’s popularity is more than just about power. This filter is made using a robust polymeric material that is weather and corrosion-proof. The tank will, therefore, retain its elegant look for years working as efficiently as it was when you first used it. It also comes with a six-piston multi-port valve that features a lever action that makes using the valve very easy. The valves also operate on backwashing principal helping to clear the tank thus making the water in your swimming pool crystal clear.
The Hayward S270T Pro Series sand filter is also one of the easiest to maintain. The only maintenance you need to do is backwashing and cleaning the tank. Everything else in the system works efficiently and won’t require any maintenance unless the filter suffers physical damage. Replacing the sand will also take approximately five years or more.
- Dimensions: 44.5 by 27.5 inches
- Shipping weight: 66 pounds
- 7-position vari-flo valve
- Made of corrosion and weather-proof materials that allow the pool sand filter to withstand harsh surrounding for a very long time
- It has an enormous pressure drain which makes filtering an easy and fast task
- It is very affordable
- The system’s full-flow technology is energy efficient, and this is useful in saving you from massive electricity bills
- The backwashing system is easy to use and highly effective in helping to deliver excellent results
- The system requires little maintenance that’s very easy to do
- Hayward have excellent customer support service team that will be quick to address any concerns you may have
- The pool sand filter is quite heavy probably due to the sturdy construction
- Its packaging is also not so great. You’ll need to be keen on carrying it around and unboxing it.
- Intex 28675EG Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump with Electro-Catalytic Oxidation
The Intex 28675EG is designed to be used with above-ground pools with a capacity of between 2600 and 8500 gallons. The filter also features a saltwater system with electrocatalytic oxidation (E.C.O) that is well-known for helping to clean pool water efficiently without leaving behind the harshness of traditional chlorine cleansers. Therefore, this pool sand filter doesn’t just leave your pool crystal clear but also safer and more conducive for everyone to hang inside the water.
With this pool sand filter, keeping your pool clean is hassle-free thanks to the 24-hour automatic timer. The only maintenance involved in this system is cleaning the tank once in a while to remove dirt and debris. The sand should be replaced only once in five years.
- Dimensions: 34.4 by 17.5 by 17.1 inches
- Unit weight: 18.75 pounds
- Shipping weight: 18.75 pounds
- 5 hp motor
- Pump flow rate: 1600 gph
- System flow rate 1500 gph
- Chlorine output 7 g/hr
- 55lb sand capacity/ 40lb glass filtration media capacity
- Minimal maintenance required
- The 24-hour automatic timer makes using the pump more convenient
- It is affordable
- The system also helps in reducing chlorine levels thus leaving the water very safe
Conclusion on pool sand filter
The three products above are the best swimming pool sand filters in the market right now. These systems offer great value for your money, and they are all made of incredibly durable materials, and hence the system will serve you for a long time. For their price, it’s hard to find any other low-maintenance filtration system beat the above sand filters.