The Complete Guide to Solar Cover Reels
If you own a pool, you know that the hardest task is to keep it warm. Sure, it works great during the summers but wouldn’t you want to take a dip during the winters too?
The maintenance bill and power consumption levels are something you want to be mindful of, and it’s probably the biggest reason to go with the solar cover reels over the traditional ones. A good product allows you to keep your pool both warm and clean with minimal effort.
However, solar cover reels for the pool can be difficult to choose, especially when you don’t have any prior experience buying pool covers (be it traditional or solar). Reels, for one, have many varieties. Some are made for in-ground pools while some suit ground pools better. Aluminum, plastic, stainless steel – every type of solar cover reel has its pros and cons.
So, before you start dropping a lot of money on a cover, you need to be sure you’re making the right choice for your pool. Let’s have a look at the main factors to consider when making a purchase.
Factors to be considered before buying a solar cover reel
Solar cover reels are nothing new in practice – they’re just another tool to help heat the pool by absorbing the sunlight and preventing it from escaping. Also, solar cover reels work as pool cleaners as well. Now, here are a few things that you need to consider before buying a reel;
- Always get the correct pool size. A small reel cover might not be that effective for your big pool.
- It is better to get a lighter colored cover reel as it allows the sunlight to penetrate more efficiently.
- Cover reels come in three types – manual, semi-automatic and automatic. The automatic pool cover is the most costly one, but obviously easiest to work with.
- It is better to have a pool cover with air bubbles as it works more efficiently than other normal cover reels.
Types of Solar cover reels
Based on category and materials, solar cover reels can be of many types. But the following ones are the most common and best all-around choices in most situations;
- Liquid Solar cover reels
This is a new kind of cover reel. It works by floating a dispenser in the pool. The non-toxic, pool chemical effectively traps the sunlight, giving the pool natural warmth with a high level of efficiency.
Straight Line Vinyl Cover
It is the most basic type of cover reel for pools and the most common as well. It prevents the heat from escaping by covering the whole area of the pool.
Insulated Vinyl Cover
This is a multi-layered solar cover where each vinyl layer is connected to each other. The multi-layer characteristic prevents the escaping of sunlight more effectively than the single layered ones.
Pool bubble cover
Just like the multi-layered cover, the bubble cover also traps the sunlight more effectively. Thus, it keeps the pool warm longer than any basic solar cover reel.
The best solar cover reels on the market — The Top 3 choices
It is quite tricky to rank the solar cover reels that are available on the market, primarily because buyer choices seem to differ. With the different pool sizes and pool types, the kind of solar cover reel you would need will vary too.
To make things simpler for you, we have listed the top 3 solar cover reels that can keep your pool warmer and cleaner this winter season.
- Kokido Stainless steel in-ground swimming pool cover reel
A Kokido cover reel is one of the best cover reels on the market, and it is the best choice if you have an 18 ft long swimming pool. The rust-free finishing of this cover reel is something that makes this product more durable than other cover reels you can buy. The heavy blanket keeps it perfectly still and keeps all the debris away from the pool.
And the best part is that it can cover a pool of any size. The strong straps of this reel keep the cover steadily, and it rolls out fast as well.
- The wheels are well constructed, helping you to roll out the cover fast with a crank.
- The whole thing is quite easy to assemble.
- Low price
- The steering wheels have a plastic cover which is not very suitable for long-term use.
- Sun2Solar Stainless Frame Solar Cover Reel
This 20 ft long solar cover reel is another treat on your shopping list if you are buying for a large sized pool. Durable and rust-free stainless steel are two main USPs of this product. The large wheels keep the rolling out process perfectly clean and stain free. With an inner tube of 3.25 inches, it is the perfect product to hold such a long pool cover steadily.
On the top of everything, this reel cover rolls out pretty fast, just with a crank. The blanket is heavy and multilayered; so it does the job of a solar cover reel efficiently. Also, it is just a one person job to move out and roll out the cover reel. Lastly, you can easily remove it from the swimming pool with minimum fuss.
- Easy setup process. It just needs one person to set up this huge thing.
- The huge heels are perfect to move this giant thing around the pool when needed.
- The rust-free stainless steel frame provides the best support to this 20 ft long blanket.
- It is quite easy to roll out the whole thing manually
- It can be a little difficult for the first timers to figure out the straps.
- Best Choice Products Swimming Pool Cover Reel
If you are looking for the perfect solar cover reel that works great with minimal maintenance involved, then this is the ideal product for you. The sturdy construction and the rust-free stainless steel are the two top features of this product. For pool sizes ranging from 17 ft to 21 ft, this solar cover reel is a perfect fit.
And apart from just keeping the pool water warm, this cover reel also keeps the pool cleaner by preventing the falling of debris on the pool water. The excellent durability, multi-layered vinyl cover and the low price make Best Choice Products Swimming Pool Cover Reel the best choice (no pun intended) on the market right now.
- Easy assembly. It only takes an hour to assemble this whole thing perfectly.
- It works perfectly for a pool of every size up to 21 ft.
- The large attached wheels of this product allow anyone to move this product around the pool quite easily.
- It rolls out pretty quickly as well and without a crank.
- The stainless frame of this solar cover reel ensures the longevity of this product.
- Low price.
The only con of this product is that the Velcro that is used to attach the straps to the reel doesn’t always stick that well to the aluminum. In most cases, though it’ll do the job just fine as long as you’re mindful to double check.
Which One Should You Go For?
These are the three best solar cover reels on the market. The Best Choice Products swimming pool cover reel wins it hands own, with its low price and large attached wheels.
Though these three have their own pros and cons, they’re all a great choice for keeping your pool warm and clean. Happy Covering!