The Doheny’s Above Ground Pool Pump is probably one of the inexpensive pool pumps being marketed by Amazon.com on its virtual store. The low price though does not reflect its quality. Currently, this pool pump has one of the highest satisfaction ratings among the more than 150 customers who made the purchase, according to PoolPumpExpert.com.
Its low price but high-quality performance probably brought this pool pump as one of the most sought-after products in the Reviews category of PoolPumpExpert.com’s Best Sellers Ranking. Find out more info on this heavy-duty pool pump and decide for yourself before you make a purchase.
Main Features of this product
• High Flow Rate
This pump is rated at 83GPM (approximate) at normal feet of head (maximum of 40 feet for this model) which is one of the fastest flow rates in the industry.
Unlike other brands, this 1.5-hp, 110-volt pool pump’s motor has stainless steel shaft which is corrosion-resistant and has high torque capability that has almost zero tolerance and virtually vibration-free. Its fan is covered with weather-proof polymer (with air-inlet) that provides efficient air-cooling to the motor to prevent overheating.
• Quality Material
The motor body is constructed from reinforced thermoplastic which give it the added durability, resistant to corrosion and attain longer life compared to more expensive brands.
• Heavy-duty cord
The pump comes with a 6-ft heavy duty and three-pronged electrical cord that is tangle-free and highly conducive to any weather.
• High Quality Standards in Manufacture
This product undergoes strict quality testing prior to release from the plant where it is tested for excellent construction, ease of use, reliability and efficiency.
• Low price, best as replacement: This pump has one of the lowest prices in the market but quality is never compromised. This pump is basically ideal as a replacement for your old and unreliable pool pump.
• Ideal for children’s pools: The pump is designed to serve best above ground pools with less than 42 inches in depth which are classified as kids’ pools.
• Silent operation: This pool pump operates in utmost silence where the heavy-duty bearings are pre-greased when pulled out of the assembly line.
• Low maintenance: The strainer is housed in a large filter basket with see-through cover allowing a quick and easy inspection of its interior, so you would know when to clean the basket. The basket has also a drain plug making winterizing convenient.
• Not for storable pools (limited use): Unfortunately, this pump could not be used for pools with nonmetallic sides, in-ground pools and if the water is more than 42 inches deep regardless of dimension.
The discussion had given you a hint of this type of pool pump which is ideal for non-storage pools and additionally great for your kids’ pool. If you think that your pool falls on this category, this product is best for your pool.
Now you know why the Doheny’s Replacement Swimming Pool Pump for Above Ground Pools – 1.5HP is one of the best sellers in Patio, Lawn and Garden category. The affordability and high-quality performance of this above ground pump do the trick. Minor issue concerning this pump does not affect its actual performance in reality and in the marketing field.
The Blue Wave NE6171B pool pump is a powerful pump for above ground pools and a great replacement for old or inefficient pumps. This pump has one of the highest satisfaction ratings among PoolPumpExpert.com’s satisfied customers in the Reviews category.
Fortunately, the product is currently one among the top highest-rated in this category, according to PoolPumpExpert.com’s Best Sellers Ranking. Discover more of this amazing pump, with some of its immense features discussed here.
Main Features of NE6171B Maxi Replacement Pump
• Self-priming Pump
This 1.5-hp, rated at the 110-volt motor pump is self-priming, meaning it does need to be primed before the operation. The pump has the ability to prime itself without human intervention. The water is stored via sump pit (such as skimmer) then piped to the suction side of the pump. However, it is recommended to double check its strainer basket if with enough water as a matter of inspection prior to starting the pump.
This product is made from a durable polymer that does not corrode and rust, giving you the edge against conventional metal pump (an example is cast iron) which easily corrodes especially when treated with chlorine. This truly prolongs the life of your pump.
This Blue Wave NE6171B pump could suck and deliver water at 62GPM at normal feet of head (20ft.). Remember that the suction power of a pump depends upon its distance from the pool (specifically the skimmer), but putting the pump assembly too near the pool is also not recommended as water splashing will put the electrical parts in jeopardy.
Better to locate the pump assembly near the pool but in a safe distance. Cover also the parts that need to be protected from rain or splashing water.
• Interchangeable Connection, Clear Lid
The pump has 2-port design (1 ½-inch diameter suction and discharge) making it to mount in either horizontal or vertical connection in no time. The lid is also conveniently clear and very large to figure out easily what’s inside and for easy cleaning.
• Lightweight: The Blue Wave Maxi weighs only 24lbs. which makes it more portable and could easily be moved anywhere near the pool.
• Ideal as replacement pump: This pump is best as a replacement for old and trouble-prone pumps for above ground pools.
• Heavy-duty cord: The pump comes with a very durable 6-ft. the power cord that does not tangle.
• Reliable, quiet, efficient and high-performance pump.
• Not automatic in operation: This affordable product does not have thermal protection switch that makes the operation automatic. However, it could be modified with such control, just consult your trusted technician.
Video review for the product
With little research about pool pumps, pool owners can gain basic knowledge necessary to make the perfect choice for their pool. Some common mistake owners often make is buying a pump too big for their pool. Learn to comprehend some key terms and specifications of pumps so that you buy the best pump for your pool.
The Blue Wave NE6171B Maxi Replacement Pump for Above Ground Pools, 1.5 HP is recommended as a replacement for your old and inefficient pool pump. This above ground pool pump has an advanced design that provides optimum performance while decreasing its requirements on maintenance.
The Hayward SP1593 is the type of pump that is used primarily to suck and deliver water for above ground pool and cleans it crystal clear. All necessary accessories could be easily mounted on this above ground pool pump.
Find more of the product’s versatility and amazing features no other brands could match.
Heavy-duty, high-performance motor with integrated automatic thermal overload protector for maintenance-free operation.
Main Features of Hayward SP1593 Power-Flo Matrix
• Equipped with Overload Relay
When the motor felt something abnormal about the current flow, it automatically shuts off to protect the system. This pump is equipped with a thermal overload protection switch that shuts off immediately (in microsecond) when abnormal condition occurs along the line. Furthermore, the system also automatically re-starts when safer heat is achieved.
At only 31.40 lbs. this pump is easy to install or move to somewhere else near the pool when needed. The weight includes the strainer, its housing and cover. The strainer basket is also lightweight but large (industrial-size), more than enough to contain 118cu. in. of debris.
This 1.5-hp, 115-volt pump is one of a kind where it could be positioned interchangeably, that is, in either horizontal or vertical orientation in just a push of a button.
• Perfect Seal
The PowerFlo Matrix is designed and engineered to make the pump heat-resistant and energy efficient by doubling the seal size that never loose or leak and mounting back protected switch which also provides much safer operation compared to conventional pool pumps.
• Large Profile, Space-saver
Though this pump has a large profile, the contour is slim and sleek which do not need more space compared to the other brand’s model with the same voltage rating and capacity.
• With C-clip Connector
The pump could easily be assembled (set up) and disassembled because it has a quick connect/ disconnect suction (intake) and discharge connection fittings that quicken these activities.
• 60-cycle, 20-amp circuit breaker: It’s great that this pump uses 60-cycle, single-phase and 20amp circuit breaker that is really easy and not costly to purchase and maintain. It also comes with 6-ft power cord.
• Equipped with heavy-duty impeller: This versatile above ground pump has the Noryl brand of the impeller which has a large opening that keeps leaves and other debris out.
• Low maintenance: The industrial- size basket this pump has is really big; it needs little maintenance to keep it clean. This will save you more. The drain plug on the basket will keep winterization effective and convenient.
• Decreasing flow rate: The pump, just like any other brand, decreases its suction capacity with regards to increasing feet of head (the farther the distance of the pump from the pool, the lower its suction capability), so it is best to install the pump near the pool.
Various differences in design of pool pumps could have effects in the cost and efficiency of the pump. Choosing the right one for your pool will decrease your operating cost and will make the pump to have a longer life. Choose the appropriate one that suits also your pool design (such as water capacity and frequency of use).
It is really proven that Hayward SP1593 Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground 1.5-HP Pump can handle heavy-duty works on your pool as it is designed for above ground pool utilization and is ready for any accessory mounting to maximize its use making it more cost-effective.
The pool pump is an important piece of equipment needed to keep your pool water clean, warm and hygienic. Once the pool pump malfunctioned or worst, it burns out, there are alternatives that could be done.
A new generation of pool pumps coming out of the market are equipped with automatic controls, safety features and could be self-repaired by owners for simple problems. There are various video instructions proliferating in the Internet of DIY’s regarding pool pump repairs.
But not all motor or pump troubles should be self-repaired. There are sometimes complicated problems and troubles that only experts could be trusted on these matters, especially on the electrical aspects.
Any sign of tear and wear should be given notice so as not to make them worst. Additionally, piping system; electrical wiring and other accessories (such as a heater, chlorinator, skimmer, etc.) should be checked regularly for possible mechanical or electrical troubles.
Most manufacturers estimate the service life of their pool pump motors at 8-10 years. To avoid common mistakes that pool owners do when troubleshooting their pump, here are some of the most frequent pump problems.
Common Causes of Pool Pump Failures
• Stock–up or defective bearings
This is the most common trouble pool pumps always encounter. Bearings are vulnerable to shock, vibration, and corrosion. Once the sound of the motor experience abnormality, like a whirring sound, it’s time to replace the bearings.
It is customary to replace both bearings (rear and front) if you find only one bearing (which is always the case) to be defective. Bearings are the most vulnerable parts of the motor as these are the ones that are subject to more stress than any other part of the pump system.
• Stock-up impeller
Impellers are also vulnerable to clogging, especially if the water it is pumping is full of large debris that may accidentally pass through the strainer or filter. Sand filter seldom experienced this phenomenon.
Sometimes, the impeller washer, nuts and diffuser bolts have loosened or worn out and these clogged the system (in addition to large debris such as pieces of leaves, etc.).
• Dehydrated pump during start-up
Pumps should be run with enough water (called priming) on its suction side. Some pump models are self-priming while some are primed manually. In case the motor is run without water on the system, this may over speed the motor shaft because it has no medium that may slow down the speed. The motor should be shut-off immediately to avoid further damage to the system.
This over speeding may cause the motor to overheat and burnt-out the windings if not corrected immediately.
• Short circuit
A short circuit occurs when there is the presence of fluid (such as water) inside the motor’s windings. This water (possibly from worn out shaft seal, bad O-rings and defective gaskets) that may seep through during a whole night’s strong rain.
• Oversize or undersize piping system
The common denominator in designing motor size in the regular pool is that the whole water in the pool should be re-circulated within 8 hours. The standard size for piping is 1 to 1-1/2 inches of pipe for suction and discharge sides for family-size above ground swimming pools.
The size of plumbing system may be reduced by one size higher or lower when needed. This may not overwork the motor. This is seldom done when considering the frequency of utilization of the pool. But experts have set this standard to compensate for the subsequent increase and decrease of users in the long run.
• Overheated Motor
When a motor is overloaded (such as sudden increase in ampere reading or sudden surge of grid current, over speeding due to dehydration, bad-bearings and short-circuits, etc.), the motor is more likely to burn-out. Bad bearings/s may cause the stator to rotate unbalance which overheats the windings and consequently burning the coils.
• Burnt Motor Due to Negligence
Yes, this frequently happens. A pool pump rated at 120-volt but accidentally plugged into an outlet having a supply voltage of 220 volts. This is one of the common mistakes that pool owners or other users do when installing power supply or testing the pump.
• Dried up Lubrication of Bearings
Bearings also need lubrication so as not to build up rust, especially when the pool and the pump are seldom used. There are new models of pool pumps that are now in the market which are self-oiling and maintain the right lubricant to keep the bearings run smoothly in any weather.
These types never run dry of lubrication even when not used for long periods. But they have also limited the time period and requires a minimum of maintenance. Better check your Owner’s Manual for instructions.
• Unmatched Pump Assembly
This is also one of the mistakes committed by pool owners: matching a 1-hp motor to the 2-hp impeller or a 2-hp motor to a 1-hp impeller. The drive assembly should have the same power as its counterpart to avoid unmatched parts which may cause unbalanced operation that may overheat or overload either part.
The flanges (of the motor and pump) must also match so that gasket fits and no leak should be observed. The bolt holes on the flanges must also be matched each other to avoid pressure drop that may result from the gap. The pressure drop will prolong the continuous operation of the pump giving you higher electricity bill.
• Worn out Mechanical Seal
Some pumps are sealed with this type of seal placed in series with the impeller; this wears out with frequent use.
Repair or Replace the Motor?
Choosing between repair and replacement for your pump motor or the entire assembly is one of the hardest parts to tackle. The decision literally rests upon your shoulders. But this article will help you to decide without hesitation on how to choose between repair and replacement. If you’re not super technical and don’t want to spend hours on fixing your pool pump, we recommend buying a new pool pump since you can get great pumps for an affordable price tag.
When to Repair
• When bearings are only the problem. These are easy to replace when you know the steps. As we have stated before, there are videos online that will teach you the proper way. Furthermore, you could hire experts to do this for you. Bearings cost only a fraction of the price for a whole motor unit.
• If the cost of repair is only minimal. In the case of bearing replacement, shaft seal may also be replaced if damaged or already worn out.
• When the impeller is only stock up and not deformed or broken.
• In the case of total wrecked impeller due to serious clogging, this part is only the one needing replacement.
When to Replace
• If the motor had passed its expected life when it encounters serious trouble.
• When you want an upgrade and current design is not appropriate anymore due to increase number of pool users and increase the frequency of maintenance.
• If same trouble occurs too often after reparations.
• When you are totally unsatisfied with your current pump’s performance and efficiency.
• In case of a burnt motor, rewinding is also an option only if there is no damage to the motor shaft, motor housing and other essential internal parts of the motor. These damages may result from the burn-out and needed the additional cost to repair.
• If the problem is too much and the cost may likely exceed the price of a new one, like a burnt motor with deformed impeller or damage diffuser, etc.
Lack of Knowledge about Motors
Judging the performance of your pool pump is not rocket science or you need not to be an electrical engineer or an expert to make a decision. The signs are there and they only need to be analyzed to make a smart decision.
In fact, more than 60% of pool owners in the United States have decided to upgrade their pump system as their family and their friends who use the pool grow and increase over time. This also entails an upgrade in motor capacity.
Compare Prices and Benefits of Replacing Old Motor
A brand new motor, whether for replacement or initial use is the best for your pool. If you are a new pool owner, definitely everything must be brand new.
But if budget constraints do not allow you to, make sure that your second-hand equipment is in good running condition, lest they will only give you a headache and cost you more in the long run.
In the olden days, if the cost of repair is more than 57% of the cost of a brand new one, it is more economical to buy the latter (brand new). However, now there are shops that offer advanced repair technology that matches the efficiency of the original. But they vary in cost.
The motor pumps of today are more energy efficient (EE) unlike before. Better check out the real cost of repair (spare parts, service, etc.) so you may know if replacement is cost-effective enough.
All manufacturers of pool pumps generally warrant their products in the limited time period. Moreover, the majority of manufacturers have 1-year warranty on the unit, barely some offer much longer.
In order to have the warranty honored by the manufacturers, the unit should be free from tampering or remained un-opened (motor and pump) during the duration of the warranty period. Even reparations are covered by warranties issued by the repair shop.
One of the common mistakes pool owners do during the warranty period is replacing the shaft seal. The warranty offered by the manufacturer is voided when there is seal failure.
That’s why if your unit is brand new and experienced abnormality within the prescribed period, better to report it to your dealer. Never try to fix the problem yourself or open up (or disassemble) any part of the pump or motor, otherwise, the warranty will be forfeited. The same goes for repairs.
Pool owners who upgrade their pool pumps and other accessories will surely have a higher initial cost. But considering the new generation of pool pumps in the market today, which are more energy efficient and made through state-of-the-art technology, they are more likely to save more in the long run.
Reparations are only advisable when the cost of repair is way below the total cost of acquiring a new one. The integrity and reliability of serious reparations for major breakdowns are also more likely to bring additional cost as anticipated.
This is also true for new pool owners; utilizing used equipment may bring more nightmares than good night sleeps.
Above ground pool pumps are an essential part of a good hygiene for swimming pools that provide enjoyment, fun and luxury to users. This type of pool pump regulates (or specifically circulates) the water in the pool to make it crystal clear, clean and hygienic.
The Hayward SP1580X15 Above-Ground Pool Pump is one of the best examples of this type of pump. Discover more of its amazing features which set the standards for value and capability.
Main Features of Hayward SP1580X15
• Longer Motor Life
This 1.5-hp, rated 115-volt pump is totally dip-proof because of its double-size and heat-proof seals making it more resistant to wear and tear that enhance longer life for the motor, therefore prolonging the life of the pump.
• Industrial-size Debris Basket and Heavy-duty Casing
The debris basket of this product can hold up to 118cu. in. of debris. This large volume will enable the pump for a minimum of maintenance allowing you to save more money in your electric bill. The heavy-duty all-weather pump casing is a reinforced and corrosion-resistant thermoplastic housing permitting the quietest of operation.
• Comes with Strainer
This Power-Flo FX Series comes in 91GPM (at 20 Feet of Head) capacity and with a durable strainer that can collect large debris, such as small stone, leaves and other large objects that may flow through its 1-1/2inch suction (intake or port) pipe. Its discharge pipe is also 1-1/2inch in diameter which produces enough pressure for quick cleaning of the pool.
One other reason why this pump has low maintenance is that of its self-oiling bearings which contribute much to its efficiency and durability. The bearings remain lubricated while in operation as they are designed as such.
• Auto Shut Off
The pump is proven safe to operate even when current from the grid fluctuates or if overloading is inevitable because the motor is equipped with an automatic thermal overload relay system that automatically shuts off the motor when it is overheated or overloaded due to unavoidable circumstances.
• Also auto-start: The motor also automatically starts when safer heat level inside the motor is reached. A real safety feature unique from other brands.
• Quality material: The pump is made from patented PermaGlass XL which is high-strength and very tough, especially on vibration.
• Easy to install: This pump can be installed easily because it has an only minimal piping system and the pump comes to you fully assembled.
• No filter and heater included: This very affordable pool pump does not come with filter and heater, but they can be ordered separately and could be installed with minimum of modification in case you have assembled the pump system already.
To better serve your requirements for pool pump, look for the best quality like the one tackled above which is proven safe, durable, and affordable and the finest quality among other brands.
The Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground Pool Pump is an ideal pump for a medium-size pool for the family. Its capacity, large basket, low maintenance, voltage-rating, port size, and heavy-duty materials can really save you lots of time and money.